The celebration of light, colour and texture that is Hong Kong

By , August 13, 2010 8:59 am

Besides the wonderful itinerary put up by the Hong Kong Tourism Board (HKTB), and the fabulous company provided by the nine very interesting bloggers, the three members of the omy team, and the HKTB representatives, what I really enjoyed about the recent trip with I made to Hong Kong was the treat that Hong Kong provided from a sensory perspective. Hong Kong I guess is one of the places where the joie de vivre is celebrated with an unabashed gusto, and the evidence of that is out there on the streets coming out in a joyous feast of light, colour and texture. You will find it on its streets, crowded with a daily rush of humanity; in its glow of neon, casting a gaudy radiance in the evening light; in the busy cafés and restaurants that offer a luscious menu to satisfy the taste buds; in the glittering shops filled with anything the heart might desire … it is indeed everywhere around, put on the huge platter that is Hong Kong to nourish our senses in a most delightful way. It was certainly a joy for me to wander around to savour and revel in what was all around me, and for me, it was perhaps the icing on the cake for what had been a thoroughly enjoyable experience in the Fragrant Harbour.

Colour and Light

Changing hues of a shop front in Tsim Sha Tsui.

Passageway in the Mira Hotel.

Wine rack at Yamm as seen from the lobby of the Mira Hotel.

Yin and Yang, Light and Darkness at Yin Yang in Wan Chai.

Incandescent glows

Paper lamps in a private room in busy suzie.

A Japanese Restaurant along Nathan Road.

A bamboo panel at busy suzie.

Wall decoration at the Mira Hotel entrance.

Lamps in a trendy furniture shop in Wan Chai.

Elemental textures

Extrusions at a hardware store.

Reflection of steel on a glass façade.

A stone wall in Tsim Sha Tsui.

A collapsible metal gate in SoHo.

Plastic hoses used in a shop's signboard in Central.

Movable lead type at the Wai Che Printing Co. in Wing Lee Street.

Close-up of wooden rack at Wai Che Printing Co.

Earthly hues

Green vegetables on display at Nelson Street market.

Bitter gourd on display at Nelson Street market.

Green chillies at Yin Yang.

Dough fritters at Nelson Street.

Feet of salt baked chicken outside a restaurant near Nelson Street.

Dim sum steamers on Argyle Street.

The joy of just about anything

Security passes at the Hong Kong Dragon Boat Carnival.

Plastic tubing being loaded onto a truck.

Tree roots exerting a tight grip on a wall on the slopes of Sheung Wan.

Another stairway to heaven ... the heavenly delights that await in the dining room of Yin Yang.

A maze made out of hedges in Kowloon Park as seen from the window of the hotel room.

Incense coils at the Man Mo temple.

24 Responses to “The celebration of light, colour and texture that is Hong Kong”

1. 园主 says:

nice photos! 🙂

2. Aussie Pete says:

Mate… Told u that u have a talent for photography that is to be envied!! U sure these are HK textures? Could seriously be professional windows wallpapers!! Fantastic – I’m speechless… Which u know is difficult for me. Looking forward hopefully to lunch next week – we can reminisce some.. 🙂

3. Jerome says:

Thanks 园主! 🙂

4. Jerome says:

Peter, you flatter me! Just trying to catch what the eye sees … 100% Hong Kong – just love the textures that seem to surround you as you wander around the streets …. Yes … certainly looking forward to that! 🙂

5. AGG says:

Hey jerome,

I used to take photos of shapes colour n texture for my last year assignment. interesting post. 😀

AGG

6. tricia says:

I really can’t deny HK dinfitely has it’s unique and distinctiveness (not forgetting their creativity) within the most common and simplest things in life. Your shots have also expressed an unique way out of that normal momentum! Good shots!

7. Jerome says:

Thanks AGG :D! Always find shapes colour n texture fun!

8. Jerome says:

Thanks Tricia :D!

9. Aussie Pete says:

Still waiting to see your ‘dot’ pictures, AGG!

10. Violet says:

Only 3 words… WOW WOW WOW! 🙂

11. Jerome says:

Thanks Violet! 😀

12. Winnie says:

Hi Jerome, loved the photos. Was just wondering with the Wai Che Printing company did you have to make a appointment or anything. I’m actually heading to Hong Kong and i would love to visit there but i can’t find any contact details online. Also if you have any recommendations i would be most grateful.

13. Jerome says:

Thank you Winnie for your feedback! 🙂 We actually dropped in without an appointment. I believe that I have the business card of the owner somewhere – I need to locate it … by the way, there is more on the Wai Che Printing Company and Wing Lee Street on which Wai Che is located at another of my posts: Echoes of the Sheung Wan of the 1960s: Wing Lee Street and the ladder streets. What type of sights are you interested in seeing in Hong Kong?

Panorama Theme by Themocracy